Tianjin

Tianjin hai river European architecture

天津

Tianjin wasn’t really a place I had ever thought of visiting until my flatmate had went and told me all about it. It was the idea of a Chinese city with a European feel that had captured my interest. It’s the way she had described it then I had thought, I need to go for a day as it was just over half an hour on the fast train from Beijing. Hearing how she went to visit here and there, listening to her recommendations, I had of course jotted them down.

When I had arrived in Tianjin, it was a less hectic version of Beijing. I had thought it would be busy, full of tourists as I had visited on a Sunday (back in November) but it wasn’t. It was refreshing to visit a city or town that is rammed with tourists. It makes the whole experience more enjoyable don’t you think?

The first place I had visited was the Tianjin Ancient Cultural Street (古文化街), full of shops and stalls whilst still preserving the Qing dynasty architectural style. The most memorable thing was watching the blowing sugar craftsmanship, I mean look at the prawn below! The detailing impeccable! It’s nice to have a wonder around and eating street food.

tianjin ancient culture street

tianjin ancient culture street
tianjin ancient culture street

I did visit the Porcelain House (瓷房子) but didn’t enter as my flatmate said inside was very underwhelming and wasn’t worth it. But yes, look at the porcelain vases embedded into the walls. I thought this was very random, yet it was unique. Afterwards, I did visit Italian Style Street (天津意式风情街). I didn’t capture much photos as it was just a small area full of cafes, restaurants, bars and small shops but I did capture Marco Polo Square. The area was smaller than I had expected. It’s nice that it has the European feel due to the history but it was a bit underwhelming too. Good to have a glimpse around.

After that, I had visited the Drum Tower and the surrounding area to get a feel of the history. Tianjin is full of the old, Chinese architecture as well as the European architecture like in the very first picture of this post. I did just go walking down streets looking at the architecture, seeing what was there.

Tianjin porcelain china house
Tianjin porcelain china house

Tianjin porcelain china house
Tianjin Italian style street town

Tianjin drum tower
Tianjin door
Tianjin night

Tianjin at night is absolutely beautiful when lit up. Walking along Hai River is a must or even cycling. You get to see bridges, buildings etc light up. It probably doesn’t sound that exciting but it’s just relaxing. I ended walking up the river towards the Tianjin Eye during the day then cycled back down heading towards the train station in the evening. I did stop to take a billion photos. I didn’t get the chance to go on the Tianjin Eye but next time as I do love beautiful cityscapes. Will have to wait until it’s less polluted.

Tianjin zodiac century clock
Tianjin night bridge
Tianjin night st regis hotel
Tianjin night beian bridge
Tianjin night eye when

I actually need to go again as I want to visit the Tianjin Binhai Library. Boy, didn’t that sound like a boring end to a post!

1. 22nd January 2018 / 4:01 pm

I haven’t ever heard anything about Tianjin before so I loved reading this. I really want to get to China in the next few years, I’ve been before but I want to take my kids, so thank you for sharing this interesting little corner of it.

2. 22nd January 2018 / 4:52 pm

Oh wow what an absolutely amazing looking place, that wall of vases is just wow. I can only imagine they would all be smashed around here. I would love to visit China one day – it looks like such a beautiful place.

3. 22nd January 2018 / 6:59 pm

The buildings are so unique and beautiful! Looks like you had such a good time!

4. 22nd January 2018 / 7:06 pm

I’ve never ever heard of this place before but looks stunning, the night life looks great, those lights are just beautiful.

5. Christopher Hoang
    22nd January 2018 / 7:52 pm

You need to go back and then eat a traditional Tianjin 煎饼果子. It refreshing visiting Tianjin because of the similarities with Beijing, without the masses of people. It’s my wife’s hometown, and your pictures really reminded her and I of places we visited when dating a few years back 🙂 Nice one Nicol!!

6. Helen
    22nd January 2018 / 9:18 pm

I have to agree, finding somewhere that isn’t full of tourists is always so nice. Tianjin looks a beautiful city, the architecture is amazing and seeing it all lit up at night is stunning.

7. 23rd January 2018 / 12:09 am

I completely get where you are coming from. I find it much easier to enjoy cities that are less crowded and touristy so glad that Tianin had a treasure trove of secrets like Hai river which looks spectacular x

8. 23rd January 2018 / 7:48 am

Would love to visit China, incredible pictures really enjoyed reading this. Maybe one day I will be fortunate enough to go

9. 23rd January 2018 / 9:59 am

Wow the vase wall looks so cool. I think sometimes it’s nice to get personal recommendations as you end up visiting places you wouldn’t usually x

10. 23rd January 2018 / 4:28 pm

The porcelain vases look so beautiful embedded into the wall. gorgeous!

11. 23rd January 2018 / 8:01 pm

Ohh! I didn’t know anything about Tianjin before reading this, but what a unique and fascinating place! That wall with the vases is incredible! xx

12. Alison Rost
    23rd January 2018 / 10:00 pm

My good friend will be traveling to China in March and I think Tianjin is in her itinerary. I will send the link to this post to her so she will get an idea of what she can see and experience in Tianjin.

13. 23rd January 2018 / 10:30 pm

Oh we were only talking about my family’s visit to Beijing and how hectic a city it is, this weekend. Tianjin sounds like the perfect antidote.

14. 24th January 2018 / 8:05 am

Oh my gosh, the Porcelain House is stunning. I don’t blame you though, the interior could never live up to that exterior (and I’m sure I’d smash my backpack into something and destroy the whole place).

C x

15. 24th January 2018 / 10:13 am

oh my what beautiful pictures it isn’t a place I have visited but know if I did it would be amazing for sure

16. 24th January 2018 / 12:02 pm

It really does look like a mini Beijing! It so pretty and I could see why you fell in love with the place. The blow sugar work is incredible.

17. 24th January 2018 / 12:34 pm

What a beautiful city! I’d never heard of Tianjin but it definitely sounds somewhere I would be keen on visiting

18. Danielle
    24th January 2018 / 1:47 pm

It’s a shame that the inside was so overwhelming, as the outside looks stunning. It looks like a must see.

19. 24th January 2018 / 3:23 pm

Wow what a beautiful place, I love finding cities that are not too ‘touristy’ and overcrowded. Stunning photos 🙂

20. 24th January 2018 / 8:26 pm

Is it bad that I’ve never heard of Tianjin before? But it’s definitely on my list of places to travel now – it looks beautiful, and I love the architecture! xo

21. 24th January 2018 / 8:32 pm

We love the porcelain vases embedded into the walls! Its so unusual and eye catching. Thanks for putting Tianjin on our radar x

22. 24th January 2018 / 8:44 pm

I would absolutely love to visit China. There are just SO many places there that I would want to see, and clearly as the Country is massive It might not be that easy.
    I had never heard of Tianjin before, but it looks so beautiful that I think it would be a wonderful place to visit.

23. Joanna
    25th January 2018 / 8:29 am

I have been to Beijing but didn’t make it to Tianjin as well. I am impressed by the look of the city. The European architecture is very strongly present in the city and it’s so intriguing how it blends with the Chinese one.

24. 26th January 2018 / 11:14 pm

Wow, Tianjin really looks more awesome at night and I totally like those shots. I hope we can also visit this place soon.

25. Rachel
    27th January 2018 / 10:44 am

It looks like such an amazing place, the architecture is incredible! xo