Packing Up and Moving Abroad

coconut lane marble rose gold MacBook paperchase aspinal of London travel wallet

I’ve had the majority of this post written up a few months ago and have just been waiting to finish and push that publish button. So here it goes!

You guys may or may not have seen my Instagram post announcing something big. Sooooo… Yesterday, I’ve handed in my notice at work and it feels absolutely, freaking asdfghjkl amazing. I even left the meeting room with a big ass grin on my face. No joke. I’m ready for my next step in life. So here it is…

I’M MOVING TO BEIJING!

After being stuck in a rut for quite some time, I have figured out what my next step is, thanks to my dear mother. Since she knows I have an interest in languages and that I want to improve my Mandarin, moving to Beijing was the ideal next step. This also means I can travel around China a bit more now and everywhere else in Asia (let’s hope my schedule allows me to)! This was all planned last August so getting things into place over the past year has been surreal. I plan to go there for a minimum of a year then just go with the flow afterwards.

I’ve been busy preparing my move and it includes migrating my blog over to WordPress from Blogger as Blogger (a part of Google) is banned in China. I needed to be prepared if my VPN is being slow or whatever and moving to self hosted was the best decision. A big thanks to my mate, Aiden at Cheungy.com for helping me with the move. Now I can blog over there! Fingers crossed I can. You guys might have noticed a layout change which I had purchased off pipdig. It’s bang on what I had wanted. Brilliant service too.

Excited, and a little bit nervous now that I’ve booked my one way flight. The nerves will kick in more closer to my flight date in early September, 4th to be exact. I’ve got all of the necessary documents sorted, just the packing left to do! What the hell do I pack for a year minimum and how am I going to fit it all into two suitcases…

Happy August to you all!

1. 2nd August 2017 / 7:48 am

Good luck hun! What an amazing step, wishing you all the best~

Vivian | LIVE . IN . LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

2. 2nd August 2017 / 6:37 pm

What amazing news! I am so happy for you. Good luck with all your travel adventures in Bejing xx

3. 2nd August 2017 / 6:59 pm

Good luck! I left my job last week too. How exciting to be moving to Beijing.

4. 2nd August 2017 / 7:20 pm

Congrats on such great news! This new beginning must be so exciting for you. I can’t wait to follow you on your adventure. x

5. 2nd August 2017 / 9:21 pm

Wow, what an incredible step. All the best for your new life!

6. 2nd August 2017 / 10:58 pm

Oh how exciting! Wishing you the best of luck with your move

7. 3rd August 2017 / 8:00 am

Oh wow! That’s awesome! I’ve wanted to visit and/or live in China! I’m so jealous!

8. 3rd August 2017 / 9:22 am

Wow that’s such an exciting move, love your new layout btw. Good luck with the move x

9. 3rd August 2017 / 10:03 pm

What an exciting move. Good luck and I hope all goes well :)x

10. 4th August 2017 / 3:31 am

congratulations! Thats such a good opportunity I would love to move abroad, maybe to london.

11. 4th August 2017 / 6:31 am

What an awesome post and I enjoy reading your blog, Such a great news and It ‘s good that you were moved. Congrats

12. 4th August 2017 / 12:03 pm

Good luck dear! This is a big decision and big step in life! I’m happy for you!
    Btw, I didn’t know blogger was blocked in China! Too bad!!!

13. 4th August 2017 / 2:10 pm

You’re now ready. The long wait for preparation is over. You are in advantage for you know how to speak Chinese Mandarin. How I wish I could be a linguist too for I am interested to learn other languages aside from English. It sounds good to be called as a master of other foreign languages.

14. francesca
    4th August 2017 / 3:38 pm

Thats amazing!! Well done for making the choice and going with it!! People let fear of the unknown get the better of them nowadays so well done you!

15. 4th August 2017 / 8:42 pm

Wow that’s awesome!!! So happy for you and I know you will enjoy every moment of it! I can’t wait to read about things going on out there! Have fun and congrats!

16. 4th August 2017 / 8:58 pm

This is so exciting! Beijing must be so different and so cool! You’ll learn so much! I have moved abroad many times and the excitement was always there! such a great experience

17. 5th August 2017 / 3:20 pm

Wow! Congratulations and I guess there is no need for me to say, prepare all you need to prepare, obviously you’ve got everything covered. When I moved to Thailand I was nervous and excited at the same time, I forgot to bring my passport. I know of all things it has to be the passport. Good thing I got out of my then apartment 2 hours early so I had enough time to go back. So put your passport in your bag now (lol). Good luck.

18. 5th August 2017 / 4:04 pm

Dude congrats on quitting your job and making the move to Beijing! That’s amazing!

19. 6th August 2017 / 11:16 am

WOW!!! What an exciting change for you, Nicol! I wish you a safe journey, a wonderful adventure and a great new life xx

20. 6th August 2017 / 12:52 pm

Wow how amazing for you! Good luck with the move, hope it all runs smoothly for you. And I’m loving your new theme

21. 6th August 2017 / 2:23 pm

Moving to a new country is something I have never done. Young people now are very adventurous. The world has indeed gotten smaller because of globalization. Opportunities abroad are so much more now than when I was younger.

22. Ebrian Fox
    6th August 2017 / 3:19 pm

Goodluck and give as an update. Been to Beijing and it’s a nice place.

23. 7th August 2017 / 12:48 pm

I’m flying to Beijing this week for a meeting this week and I’m looking forward to it. It;s really a bold move to relocate to Beijing. Good luck and have the ride of your life.

24. Rachel
    8th August 2017 / 5:03 pm

Ahh that’s so exiting! Best of luck for the future. I can’t wait to see what you get up to! xo

25. 5th September 2017 / 8:28 am

We moved to different countries so many times.. It can be very stressful, but with a lot of effort, it can go really well!