Beauty Tricks My Mum Made Me Try

HOME REMEDIES
During my teenage years and going through puberty, my mum had made me try many beauty tricks before I knew skin care and makeup was even a thing. Even now, she tells me I should try this and that. Growing up, I have suffered from very oily and spot prone skin. Instantly, my mum knew what I should try and I did question her but she always had the answer for everything. She’s very knowledgeable and her skin is always nice.

Egg white mask – apply egg whites like a mask.
Mung bean mask – blend mung beans into a paste then apply like a mask.
Oatmeal mask – adding water to oats to form a thick consistency then apply like a mask.
Green tea mask – put left over green tea in the fridge then apply it on cleansed skin at night.
Green tea bag eye cooler – put the brewed green tea bags into the fridge then apply it to the eyes when needed.
Potatoes on spots – slice potatoes into small and thin slices then apply it directly to spots until the slices are dried up.
Olive oil – apply on dry lips or hair.

There’s probably more but these were the main ones I had been testing whilst growing up during my teens.

What beauty tips did you receive whilst growing up?

1. Chloe Butchers
    6th January 2016 / 9:10 pm

These are such good ideas! My Mum isn't very knowledgeable about skincare so I didn't receive any amazing advice like this growing up, but I'll be sure to try the green teabag trick the next time my eyes are looking tired!

Chloe x | Snug Corner

2. Esmeralda Vermeulen
    6th January 2016 / 9:26 pm

Same as Chloe, I don't have any tips from my mum. One thing that I remember is a friend who was told by her mum she should break an egg on her hair, but then went on to rinse with warm water! Oops!

3. Elizabeth O.
    7th January 2016 / 7:37 am

I love homemade skin care products because it's safer and you know which ingredients are in them. Your mom is awesome for being knowledgeable at these things!

4. beautyqueenuk
    7th January 2016 / 9:21 am

The teabag eye cooler I have done before and it does help x

5. Kerri @ Beauty & Things
    7th January 2016 / 9:56 am

These are some great ideas! I drink a lot of green tea so I might give the green tea mask a go.

6. 7th January 2016 / 10:06 am

Tea bags on eyes was always something I used when I was younger, but had forgotten about.

7. Elena Toma
    7th January 2016 / 1:23 pm

this was such a cool thing to read 🙂 you remind me of my youth.I am still doing the white egg mask,is such a fab, cheap and amazing way to tighten and make your skin firm in 5 min.Cold cucumber slices to depuff eyes and aloe vera juice on blemishes are amazing tricks also.

8. Fred Hawson
    7th January 2016 / 3:38 pm

I think we all have heard these home remedies from our own moms while we were growing up. It is interesting to learn that these same practices are done the world over. Evidence that these things work for most cases, at least.

9. Fred Hawson
    7th January 2016 / 3:39 pm

It is interesting to note that these same home remedies are used by mothers the world over. We have heard these advice from our own mothers while we were growing up. They must really work.

10. Barbie's Beauty Bits
    7th January 2016 / 7:13 pm

I have a plethora of beauty tricks like this. Most of mine came from my grandmother and most work like a charm!

11. Sunshine Kelly
    8th January 2016 / 3:49 am

I have tried some of it at home too, like the green tea bag eye cooler, oatmeal mask and also the egg white mask. Its very easy, cheap and I love it also.

12. Jason P.
    8th January 2016 / 4:03 am

These are all such cool tricks! Would love to try the Potato Slices 😀

13. Erica Villas
    8th January 2016 / 7:58 am

I tried olive oil for my skin too and it's amazing. I love home remedies! So authentic.

14. Franc
    8th January 2016 / 8:15 am

Your mum knows best. She does know all the trick in the books plus all her ingredients are readily available.

15. Bhushavali N
    8th January 2016 / 2:37 pm

Mom knows best always. My mom made me try cucumber slices on eyes, lemon juice on dark spots, yoghurt, coconut oil with a variety of mixed dried herbs!!! 🙂

16. Jess | Just Jesss
    8th January 2016 / 7:10 pm

I've heard of a few of these before but haven't tried any – sounds like your mum knows her stuff! 🙂

Jess xo

17. Cebuana Mom
    9th January 2016 / 9:24 am

Thanks for sharing these. My mom made me tray the egg white facial mask. Works wonders on your skin 🙂

18. Laura - Alagoz
    10th January 2016 / 6:25 am

My mom does the egg white mask as well:)

Laura
    Pink Frenzy

19. Fatemah Sajwani
    10th January 2016 / 7:07 am

Green Tea masks are always very refreshing to apply especially in the summers when you get tanned or sun burned.

20. yvonnembertoldo
    10th January 2016 / 9:27 pm

Going organic will always be the best way to maintain a beautiful skin. Haven't tried a lot of what's on your list but will take note of some to try them out soon. 🙂

21. Tiffany Yong W.T.
    11th January 2016 / 9:11 am

Those masks are fun and cheap. But do you know what are the benefits of each mask? It will be great to share with everyone the benefits as well!

22. veena hussain
    12th January 2016 / 7:05 am

I knew most of the stuff you mentioned but too lazy to apply. But have never tried the mung mask. I should stop being lazy1

23. Teresa
    12th February 2016 / 9:05 am

Moms are great at making you try things you don't want to do. My mom also showed me the egg white mask and it really does refine the skin. I have never heard the one about a thin slice of potato being used to get rid of spots, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if it works.

Teresa @ Centre D'elle