Recently, I’ve been on a roll making healthier alternatives and adaptations to my beloved sweet treats. My addiction to sweet treats is still the bane of my life so an alternative is definitely needed. Thus I give you, my blueberry and chocolate chickpea blondies. Secretly healthy, and you would never have thought they’re made from chickpeas. Keep it on the down-low to impress and surprise others.
Henceforth, I won’t be going back to the traditional blondies, no lie. It’s all about the chickpeas now. These are so immensely good I want to cry. An overreaction? Possibly but who cares. The chocolate pieces and jammy blueberries with a hint of peanut flavour coming through are to die for. It’s not too sweet which I prefer.
I’m not the biggest fan of peanut butter, but oh my, these blondies are a game-changer, changing my overall outlook on peanut butter. I wouldn’t say I’m fully onboard the love train, but am slowly getting there. Will be experimenting with it a lot more in my bakes. The possibilities are endless right? Who knows, I could be a convert and join everyone else, spreading the love for peanut butter everywhere and anywhere. It seems like it’s going that way actually.
These are so addictive, trying to eat one and only one slice was a struggle. Once you start, you can’t stop. I challenge you to not demolish it all within a day. If the brownies last more than two days, I highly applaud you and your ability to resist the temptation, restraining yourself from pinching another. I’ve been picking the crumbs off the baking paper, not letting any bits go to waste.
Looking for a healthy alternative, fail proof, eggless, flour free, oil free, easy to turn vegan friendly blondies? Then look no further. I’ve got you covered.
Blueberry and Chocolate Chickpea Blondies
- 1 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/3 cup (85g) smooth nut butter of choice
- 1/3 cup (80g) honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp milk of choice
- 1/2 cup (45g) oat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or 2 tsp if you prefer
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp if using salted nut butter
- 1/2 cup (75g) blueberries
- 1/3 cup (60g) dark chocolate chips/chunks
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line an 8×8 square tin. Set aside.
- Add the chickpeas, nut butter, honey/maple syrup, vanilla extract and milk into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and blend again.
- Stir in the blueberries and dark chocolate, then transfer the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack, remove from the tin then cut into squares.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
- If the batter is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk at a time to thin it out before you proceed to step 4.
- For nut allergies, substitute nut butter for seed butter.