Manchester, UK

The Journey to Beijing

05/09/2017

Sweaty Betty airport travelling abroad Beijing china Nicol Yuk Lui Wong 黄郁蕾 Huang Yu Lei

Whilst I was preparing for my move, I haven’t felt stressed in any way. This has probably been the calmest I’ve been whilst I’m packing and gathering all of my documents. It’s quite unusual of me. I’m more stressed about packing for holidays but not this.

I wouldn’t say I’ve been excited about this. I didn’t get that ooo feeling whilst I was boarding the plane in Manchester, then in Amsterdam. Now that I’ve arrived, it still hasn’t kicked in that I’m here. I’m usually like a child at a sweet shop whenever I’m in a different country, but this time, I think the feeling is more towards surreal rather than excitement. Quitting my job, leaving friends and family behind, it’s a big move.

2 suitcases, a gym bag, a handbag and 2 flights later, I’m here.

Since Wednesday, it has been very stressful trying to get all of the admin stuff done. I’ve been running around like a headless chicken, getting told that I need to do this and that, go here and there. I ended up crying on Wednesday to my mum on the phone because of how stressful and unorganised everything was. This has resulted in barely eating one meal a day since I had arrived on Tuesday, not drinking enough water and having a skin breakout. I’m slowly getting used to the Chinese customs. It’ll take some time to properly settle down.

I’ve met some nice people and from around the world too. Russia, America, Sri Lanka, Spain, Angola, Congo, India to name a few.

Not a good start but I guess you have to get the stressful tasks done and out of the way first before you can fully enjoy and embrace it all.

What’s new in your life?

21 responses to “The Journey to Beijing”

1. Sarah Bailey says:

Oh gosh it sounds like you have had such a stressful start in Beijing I hope things start to get better though and you come to love your new place in life.

2. Joanna says:

Definitely sounds like u have had a stressful start to your move. Admin work sucks anyway and when things are not organised on top of things it doesn’t help.

3. Melanie says:

The move sounds like a stressful time. I’ve been so busy don’t seem to get the time to think these days. Will be planning a break away soon hopefully to Iceland :)x

4. Patrick says:

Wow,such a stressful start in China….hope you adjust quickly and have fun if you can!

5. jill conyers says:

Stressful start but I’m sure things will get better. The ooo feeling will come.

6. Anosa says:

It may not be a good start for you but just enjoy and also, keep in mind that everything happens for a reason.

7. Katrina says:

Massive move! Well done and good luck more balls then what I have I wish you luck and success

8. Amy Hunt says:

completely irrelevant but I adore your leggings.
    It’s a big leap but it could be a world of difference for you! πŸ™‚

9. This sounds like a very exciting new adventure, I’m glad you’ve met some great people x

10. I’m glad you’ve already met some new people. I think that making friends is so important when you’re in a new country πŸ™‚
    p.s. I love your leggings!

11. Woweee! What a change, sounds like a stressful start but it will be worth it in the end. Change is good x

12. Dealman says:

such a stressful start in China

13. Elizabeth says:

Oh wow, what an adventure! How long are you staying for? I hope you have a great time!

14. Wow, sounds like a rather adventurous start… I hope things pick up πŸ˜€

15. Fingers crossed it soon picks up for you! Sounds like it is really stressful!

16. Ana says:

I am sorry to hear that it was such a rough start to your journey but I am so pleased that you met some nice people from all over the world.

17. Emily Leary says:

Wow, what a huge change! I hope everything gets ironed out soon and you get some time to really settle in and start enjoying the place x

18. Such an exciting journey! You’ll love it!

19. Yaya says:

There’s something so exciting about a move like that. Reality doesn’t seem to kick in until later. Just remember that even though it may have been a bumpy start it will all smooth out. Can’t wait to read more of your new adventure! x

20. Laura H says:

Hopefully things will fall into place soon and you’ll love living in a new city!