19/04/2016

Getting Back into That Routine

Getting Back into That Routine
Getting Back into That Routine

21 DAYS

I’m sure everyone’s heard it takes around 21 days to get into an old or new routine or habit. Especially in exercising, it can be daunting and you may want something to cut corners in order to slim down quicker. Unfortunately, cutting corners isn’t the way and it’s easy to be thrown off track due to this. Whether it’s exercising or getting into a new habit of some sort for your own good, it will take time to adjust to it mentally. It does feel like a chore at first but then it becomes a part of you.

I’ve been on 3 holidays this year, each close to one another, and as well as having a heavy birthday recently, it has thrown me off of my health and fitness routine. I’ve been finding it hard to properly get back into it. I have done bits and bobs but it’s not enough for me. People say jot it down daily in a notebook, bullet journal it but it doesn’t really work for me as I don’t look into my bullet journal everyday nor do I carry it around with me everywhere. I need that constant reminder then I had come up with this idea.

Say hello to *insert cool name which I can’t think of* thing. I’ve incorporated the use of sticky tabs and stuck 21 of them on a wall where I will constantly see it. This happens to be the wall next to my front door and my bed (I live in a studio like apartment. Hard to explain). Each one is numbered 1 – 21 which represents the days. This is like an everyday to do list where it’s a constant reminder and I must complete my proper fitness routine. Once I’ve done everything for the day, I will peel the day off one by one as the days past. For me, usually after 5 days, the routine is starting to come back into place and I need to carry on.

This is my 21 day journey and I would highly recommend this if you’re getting back into an old or new routine/habit and jotting it down isn’t helping you.

How do you get back into a routine and stick to it?

30 responses to “Getting Back into That Routine”

1. Hannah Latoya Bond says:

I agree it can be quite hard to get back into a routine. I always find it best to gradually get back into it and in about a week I'm back to normal x

2. Philocalist says:

I've lost all my good habits recently and it's so hard to get back into the swing of them. It's annoying how easy it is to lose a habit and so hard it is to form one!

Jess
    Philocalist.co.uk

3. Rhian Westbury says:

That's such a clever idea to get back into your routine. I've been pretty bad with mine and need to get back into it x

4. Sarah-Louise Bailey says:

Oh what an awesome idea – I really hope it helps you get back into the swing of things. x

5. Charli Bruce says:

This is such a great idea, I need to get back into the swing of things as I've really let things slip recently. x

6. Stella Olojola says:

I try to do the same thing everyday and it becomes a routine.

7. Liz Mays says:

I think this is an awesome way to establish a habit. It definitely seems to become second nature after a while!

8. Elizabeth says:

I know what you mean about holidays messing up a routine. School holidays tend to do that with me – it's not as easy to find the time to exercise. I find it's easier to get motivated if I just start with putting my workout clothes on. I might as well exercise if I am wearing them!

9. LilysLittleLearners says:

My biggest routine revolves around my daughters. Especially before bed, breaking that routine can make such a huge difference in how well she sleeps so i try to stick to it as much as possible.

10. beautyqueenuk says:

I think this is a great idea and such a good one too x

11. Melanie Ed says:

Nice idea, i hope it helps. I need to up my fitness levels too.

12. Mookie B says:

It's a great idea. I'm really bad at sticking to my plans. I'm the most indecisive person you'll ever imagine. I do like planning things, but are even better at changing plans. 🙂

Mookieslife

13. Agata Pokutycka says:

It's always hard to get back into your routine if you had a longer break from it… good luck!

14. ana de jesus says:

It is difficult getting into a routine sometimes but you need to get back in the swing of things because breaks don't last forever unfortunately!

15. Rebecca Smith says:

Such a great idea. I find it hard to get back into a routine but once I am, I'm sorted 😀

16. Nayna Kanabar says:

Its great to set up routines if you are going to achieve anything as it helps to keep you in track following a daily regime.

17. Soraya Bowie says:

Certain routines such as the nursery run I find easy to get into, where as having a bedtime routine for myself is difficult.

18. I started some small exercises recently and then after a week, I seem to have lost my routine. I really admit I have a challenge in keeping a routine. Even when I work at home, I change locations every now and then. I really have to build my routine again on staying fit.

19. Zoe IKIWN says:

It can be so difficult to get back into a routine, this idea with the 21 tabs is really good. It's a great visual to how you're progressing and by the time you get to number 21 you've formed a new habit! x

20. Amanda Love says:

I'm horrible when it comes to routine. I can never stick with it. I'm not even sure if using a sticky reminder would help me because I've tried almost everything. With me going on vacations like you, it can get even tougher.

21. Phylicia Marie Pineda says:

My planner actually has a portion where it encourages you to take on a good habit, and in a similar way, you have to list down if you've done the activity for all those 21 days.

22. Franc says:

21 days can really help you build a habit. The planner can really help you monitor your progress.

23. Fred Hawson says:

This is interesting to know that it needs at least 21 days of constancy before a habit can be formed. It means you just need to be strict with yourself for 21 days, and it will be smoother sailing from there. I will be trying this challenge myself.

24. I really have no idea that it takes 21 days to form a habit. You sound like an organized person. I love it.

25. Bhushavali N says:

I write down. Morning after chores I write down what are the things to be completed. I strike off as I finish. I know there are apps for this, but taking a pen and striking across a job is so satisfying!! This that are routine,I write down everyday!!!

26. Elizabeth O. says:

That's a great way to remind yourself that you have a routine to stick to. Getting back isn't always easy, I really appreciate your creativity by putting sticky note on your wall. I normally just make sure that I give myself a schedule and to stick to that schedule everyday.

27. Jessica Ayun says:

Needs a lot of discipline. But it's a wonderful feeling if you could finally get back in your well-organised self. 😉

28. RainbowDiaries Singapore says:

How I wish I can religiously follow the routine or the to-do list! I think I will have to be more determined to make this happen. Thanks for the reminder

29. Erica Villas says:

Yes I've heard of it. It's the middle part that always seems like a struggle to keep going. Discipline and dedication is key.

30. Suzanne says:

This is actually a really smart idea! Humans are visual creatures and have this subtle, yet constant reminder is a great!