13/01/2015

What is Perfection?

What is Perfection?

FLAWLESS, NO DEFECTS

Perfection is something we all dwell and strive on but is it ever possible to be perfect? We all have our idea on what the perfect look is. I’ve never realised how my idea has changed over the years until I’ve read an article about photoshop and the media including bloggers. Media does have a large influence on appearance and most of the time, it’s deceitful.

I exactly remember what my younger self would perceive as perfection. By younger, I mean 16-18 years old. I would have wanted pale complexion, slim face, v shaped chin, big eyes, skinny body, a typical oriental look. At that time, I was definitely influenced by the Korean media and was constantly watching Korean dramas. Too addictive. I am currently watching one called Birth of a Beauty. Looking at the actresses now, I did wonder why I had considered that as my ultimate beauty. From 18-21, fashion bloggers were my influence – slim and look good in every clothing item. My idea is different now.

Currently, my perfect look would be a slim, toned body with boobs and a booty. I’m obsessed with the booty. Squat it out. Face wise, defined cheeks, nice eyes. I’m not sure which celebrity would fit this criteria exactly. It’s most likely bits and bobs from a variety. I know I can and cannot achieve this idea. Slim is one I cannot achieve. I have a broad structure and am starting to embrace it. The whole toned look is taking over Instagram and it has motivated me to be more healthy and exercise more. Being healthy and taking good care of it is the most important thing right now.

It’s interesting how my idea and idolising a certain type has changed over the years and how the criteria is less. The reality is, perfection cannot be achieved no matter how hard we try. We need to take genetics into consideration. Of course there is plastic surgery but that’s each to their own. In the end, obsession takes over.

What is your idea of perfection? Has it changed from when you was younger?

41 responses to “What is Perfection?”

1. Michelle Elyse says:

I was similar to you in that I wanted longer legs (28' legs unfortunately), I wanted to be a size 6, I wanted bigger eyes, longer lashes and a good hairline as I have 2 cowslicks and hate my large forehead.

Now that I'm in my thirties all I want is healthy hair and a clear complexion, I know I have wobbly bits, I have pregnancy scars and I have a large forehead, hooded eyes and small legs – and you know, I'm actually OK with that.

Thank goodness I didn't revert to any surgery though as many do. Great post lovely. xx

Hugs Michelle

2. Angeline Lee says:

It's changed so much, I don't think I wanted perfection now. I just want clear skin, healthier me and just improve on what I'm good at.

3. Brand1887 says:

I think my ideal of perfection has gotten more intense since I was younger. Having the perfect androgynous look, a closet with my main colour and others that compliment me – working on a lower voice and an indifferent attitude, learning how to pick and choose my battles more carefully.

As a blogger, it seems like I became more dedicated towards working on my blog, brand, and focusing more on doing more work on my own. While my idea of perfection still leaves a lot to work on, the more achievable aspects have become my unhealthy focus, ahahaha.

4. Sarah says:

I think all our ideas of perfection change over the years, what I thought was prefect in my teens is very different from what I find prefer these days 🙂

5. The Made Up Maiden says:

All valid points. I think that the conception of perfection changes over the years, and changes with times too.

The idea that we are all perfectly imperfect, or imperfectly perfect, is one that we should accustom ourselves to. 🙂

6. Esha says:

I agree our idea of perfection changes as we grow older. I'm pretty happy with how I am. 🙂

7. Laura - Alagoz says:

Perfection changes by time for sure…When I was teenager for me being perfect was to be really thin and I ended up sick. But now as long as I'm healthy I'm happy and that's most important. x

Laura
    Pink Frenzy

8. Claire D. T says:

When I was younger I used to be embarrassed because of my acne but now I'm more comfortable because perfection for me is (off course a clean face) when you feel ok with your body!! 😀

9. beautyqueenuk says:

I always wanted to be a couple of inches taller than I am now x

10. Beautykinguk says:

I think we would all want to change something about ourselves given the chance.

11. Laura Pearson-Smith says:

Nothing is perfect to everyone- it's all personal taste.
    Laura | A Life With Frills

12. India Benjamin says:

I completely agree with this! When I was younger, my ideal was literally like super skinny – no boobs, no curves, no fat at all. It's such an unhealthy look, I can;t believe that;s what I wanted to be! Now I'd much rather be toned with (yep) a squat bum, although my bum is naturally so flat I'm gonna need to do a lot of squats! Face wise, I think a mix of Cara Delivigne and Barbara Palvin. They're both dreamy haha! I'm trying not to compare myself to other people nowadays, I'd rather just achieve the best me.

India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

13. Tomtins Christin says:

I completely agree with this. perfection is something we humans dream about, but nobody's perfect!

14. Tomtins Christin says:

Hi! would you like to follow each other?
    let me know on my blog if you followed me, and i will follow you back after it
    thank you!^^

15. Mhisha Cuyson says:

When I was younger, my definition of perfect is almost the same as yours. But then I realized that there's no perfect in life. You'll always end up disappointed or something.

16. Zubaida Rasool says:

It is definitely a good read and nice inspiration 🙂
    GlamupGirls

17. Julie Bardoe says:

This is a great post! I think when you are young you're very impressionable so look up to celebs and want their body size or features but as you grow older you find out more about yourself and those things that seemed important no longer are! x

18. Vivian Yuen says:

Agree! Everything, at the end of the day, is subjective. 'Perfection' or beauty is defined differently by every single person in this world. What matters most is being happy and healthy whatever which way~

LIVE . IN .LOVE ✞

~

19. Jess | Just Jesss says:

It's so interesting to look back on how your ideal has changed over time! I think the idea of perfection is definitely influenced by the media 🙂

Jess xo

20. Zubia Rizvi says:

Great post! Loved reading your thoughts. For me perfection is being able to lead a happy life, everything else is secondary. x

21. Eva H says:

Such a great, insightful post! To me, perfection isn't so much how someone looks, but how one sees herself/himself. Perfection is the willingness and confidence to embrace everything, flaws and all. But as someone who has come from Asian traditions, I've unfortunately witnessed how my family and friends project their cultural ideas of perfection onto others. I admit that I've been guilty of doing this myself.

22. jessica ie says:

I feel almost the same thing.
    Born to be ourselves, not to be perfect 🙂
    Thanks for sharing ^^

VISIT MY BLOG❤

23. Marie Sanderson says:

I mean yeah I have an ideal but I will never ever get there no? it's unrealistic. When I was 15 to 24 I suffered with a eating disorder all I wanted was to be "perfect" and my god was that a distorted view on myself. I mean even now I am 27 I still can not say that I am happy with any part of myself which is so sad but I can look at other people and see beauty and perfection in them. I really don't feel that for me social media made any difference to my "condition" but I can understand how it can affect other people. Recently I have found myself comparing myself, my career, my life goals to other peoples and wishing I could be more like them. Hope that makes sense.

Great thought provoking post. xox

24. Isabella Tang says:

I think the medium definitely plays a massive role in twisting/influencing our way in thinking what is perfection, which is really sad. But completely agree with your post! We are all different, and unique in our own little way 🙂 x
    | Life as a Petite || Fashion, Crafts & Lifestyle Blog |

25. Agata Pokutycka says:

I don't believe in perfection and as far as I remember, I never did.

26. Miss Ika says:

I'm not perfect. Never imagine about perfectionist. Love yourself
    MISS IKA'S BLOG

27. ♥Sarah♥ says:

I like the way you think! I have a broad structure too. Hope we can do it together! =)

28. Cindy Tong says:

perfection to me sometime means just do your best and be happy with it!! all you need to win is yourself!! btw babe I msg u in FB but i think it went to other folder because u din accept my fren request..

29. Maria Clara Novita Kusumahati says:

too much media influence in someone else's life is not good things..
    sad but its true.

30. Mia Foo says:

well, i have no idea for perfection, anyhow. we're all humans and we're not meant to be perfect in the first place, isn't it so?
    giglove

31. Chaicy Style A Pastiche says:

That's soo true !! We can stop all those unwanted woes while striving to be perfect! Be it perfect skin or bod or hair !!

GIG Love
    New Post – xoxo Chaicy – Style..A Pastiche!
    Facebook

32. It's a really great thing that you are starting to embrace your body structure and that you are motivated to be more healthy and exercise more.

33. Great post! This is such a powerful topic and something that really resonates with me. <3 GIGLove

34. Sin Yee says:

Nothing is perfect. But what we can do is be real, do as good as we can. That is perfect. =) giglove

35. Khushboo Motihar says:

Imperfections make us who we are; human beings. Thanks for sharing your lovely ideas dear 🙂

36. Simply Fashion TV says:

I instantly thought of the Beyoncé song: Flawless. I've had it stuck in my head all day! Anyways, my perception of "flawless" has changed over the years and it's actually still changing. I'd say I'm trying to learn to love myself as I am instead of measuring up to other's ideals.
    gig xoxo
    Andréa Christine
    Workout Wear Wishlist

37. Kylie wenn says:

NObody is perfect but many ppl expect us to be perfect.. I wonder why..

gig: http://cre8toneprincess.blogspot.com

38. Anubhooti Khanna says:

i completely agree… nobody is perfect!

39. Nia Everal says:

I remember when I was younger I thought my nose was ugly – broad and flat. And now I think how weird I'd look with any other nose than my own. God doesn't make mistakes on us; there is beauty in everyone of us!

40. Kumiko Mae says:

Such perfect time to read your blog–right now when I'm going through something pretty difficult in my personal life. I hope I remember those words more often–and in shining splendid…

41. FancyFrancy says:

this is such a nice and empowering blog post, its great to read inspirational things like this! Thanks for writing and sharing this!! xoxo [email protected] http://www.fancy-francy.com