28/02/2013

Beginner’s Basic Makeup Kit

I’ve been thinking back to when I first bought my first makeup. This was at 16 years old and had only purchased them for the prom and never really wore it afterwards until I was 18. I didn’t have a clue as to what basic things I had needed and decided to go for the cheap drugstore brands (e.g. Miss Sporty, Collection 2000 etc) since I wasn’t really going to wear makeup again (well for a few years). I remember I had bought eyeliner, mascara and lipgloss. That’s it. So here is my take on the guide to the beginner’s basic makeup kit.

– Foundation, bb cream or tinted moisturiser to even out your skin tone, cover any imperfections or to add a glow to your face.
– Face powder to set your foundation.
– Eyebrow pencil to create fuller brows to frame your face.
– Neutral eyeshadow palette to create may looks, adding depth in your eyes and to experiment.
– Eyeliner to define and emphasise your eyes.
– Eyelash curler to curl your lashes ready for mascara application and to open your eyes.
– Mascara (not included in the image) to define and open up your eyes.
– Blusher to add a natural glow to your face.
– Lipgloss (or lipbutter or lipbalm) to prevent the lips from drying and or adding a tad of colour to the lips.
– Multi-purpose brush to use for many products on the face such as blusher, powder etc.

Once you’re more into makeup, you can then move onto other products such as primers, highlighters, contours etc and or onto higher end products.

What was your very first makeup item? What would your basic makeup kit consist of?

10 responses to “Beginner’s Basic Makeup Kit”

1. Sapphire Bufton says:

MUA products are amazing! Such great value too.
    I remember being paranoid about being pale at school so wearing blusher and a tiny bit of eyeliner. I love being pale now though haha :'3

Sapphire

2. Diana says:

I'm more or less like you!
    I got my first things around my my second year in high school, but I end up leaving everything behind.
    When I started to listen to kpop and search for their look, I end up looking for nice makeup as well.
    Since that day, I try to get as many different items as possible.
    When I can't find anything nice on drug-store, I tent to buy Korean versions (that always have really cute packaging <3 )
    If I had to buy everything again, I would buy everything you said + a nice primmer (I always need one)
    Kissu*

P.S. you're Rimmel Powder broke ;;W;; Rimmel should change that packaging D: it's not travel-friendly at all >>

• nicolyl says:

yeah, i dropped the rimmel powder πŸ™ so fragile when i start to hit the pan ><" to be honest, i buy korean cosmetics because of the packaging haha

• Diana says:

I'm always afraid that I may broke it ;;__;;
      XD They are also cheaper in some cases, like lip tints and such. I already have some items, but I'm looking for doing a Korean makeup haul. xD Specially Etude House stuff<3 (pink packaging says it all xD )
      Kissu*

• nicolyl says:

ah yes! loving etude house's latest releases. especially the heart blush things. i wouldnt dare use them T^T too pretty to use

3. dolljjang β™₯ says:

whee I have that skinfood concealer too in my makeup pouch! hehee. I started using make up when I was 22 TT^TT so late eh?

4. Louise Lam says:

What a great post! My first make up product would be eyeliner and I was around 16 as well. I remember buying a Napoleon Perdis matte eyeshadow palette and I chose a pink shade – made my eyes look bruise cause the colour didn't suit me and I had no idea how to put it on as well haha. Oh dear πŸ™

dreamdustx

• nicolyl says:

haha awww! but i guess a great thing about make up is that you can experiment and can see whats good and what a big no no πŸ™‚