Why I’m Not Saying “New Year, New Me” This Year

nicol yuk lui wong 黄郁蕾 big bear yukluistyle yuk_lui

First of all…

Happy 2019!

Please do excuse the Instagram quality photo above. Temporarily going old school with this post.

Our obsession with “New Year, New Me” is, in reality, actually setting yourself up for failure. I feel like it’s become so cliché now and is wired into our brains. I can’t remember if these words had come out of my mouth last year, even so, I do remember saying it every year for as long as I can remember. Whereas this year, I had decided from now on, I will not be saying it anymore.

In reality, you can only work on what you’ve currently got and improve oneself. If you do “start from scratch, creating a new you”, how long would it take for you to go back to the old you? A month? A few days? Or maybe a few hours? Then you’re back to square one. So instead, find and acknowledge your faults or any difficulties you have faced, then this becomes your starting point, therefore, allowing you to build up from there.

I’ve always believed you can’t put a timescale on change. But of course, you will have your “ideal date” as to when this should be accomplished by. However, there will be a lot of ups and downs during this journey yet you can still loosely keep this ideal date as a guide. Having said that, be flexible, open and adapt to the situation. Don’t be hard on yourself nor apply too much pressure.

I’ve given up on New Year’s resolution years ago. Every year, I always make the same resolutions and fail horrendously. Why is that? Being the high achiever that I am, I always set the bar way too high, creating near to impossible goals. Once I’ve realised it’s not doable, I give up just like that and continue to live the way I always do. To me, goals are meant to be realistic and am better off making small, achievable ones throughout the year. Jumping straight into the deep end isn’t ideal. It’s utterly and completely impractical.

I’m not saying that New Year’s resolutions are a bad thing at all whatsoever. They’re not for everyone. It may work for some, but may not work for others.

I do believe in New Year, New Start, in the context where what happens in the previous year stays there and to focus on the new year. Basically, I’m just going to copy and paste my Instagram caption here.

The truth is, no one will EVER have a smooth, trouble-free year. Everyone will run into difficulties. It’s how you face, act and overcome them that will define you. If you can’t tell from my caption, I’m going to be working on myself and 2019 is going to be me, me and ME.

What do you hope to achieve in 2019?

1. 10th January 2019 / 7:01 pm

I also don’t believe in any kind or resolutions, your blog motivated me in many aspects. Thanks a lot foe sharing it.

2. 10th January 2019 / 9:21 pm

My goals for 2019 are continued growth in my business, continued grace and patience with my family and reading more books!

3. 10th January 2019 / 9:31 pm

I totally agreed with your reasons and points here. Nice post

4. 10th January 2019 / 11:46 pm

I definitely agree with you that any goals set should be achievable and that setting New Year’s Resolutions that are not realistic is a waste of time. I like your approach in working on bettering yourself in your way.

5. Kansas Bonanno
    11th January 2019 / 1:20 am

My goal this year is to take care of me, i’ve lost myself to motherhood and I need to find it again.

6. 11th January 2019 / 3:55 am

2018 was such a quick year so for 2019 I want to take advantage of all the time that I can get for myself basically more self care.

7. Kimberley
    11th January 2019 / 6:09 am

Agreed. New year same wiser me.

8. 11th January 2019 / 2:02 pm

YES! This year is my year of completing things. Instead of deciding to reinvent myself etc., I finally feel like I’m on my right path. So this year is the year I wrap up things I started working on in the past few years which will bring me the success I’m waiting for. It’s gonna’ be a great year. A year of accomplishment! It’ll have ups and downs, etc. but I will be better for it and be able to walk away from 2019 saying I did everything I could.

9. 11th January 2019 / 4:00 pm

This is so true, we’re totally setting ourselves up for failure because if we don’t notice an immediate change. We slide back into the same old bad habits. I want to grow my blog and continue my healthy lifestyle practices. Wishing you all the best in 2019!

10. 11th January 2019 / 6:04 pm

This is so good! Thanks for a great read. I agree with you completely.

11. 11th January 2019 / 10:53 pm

This is so me. I hardly feel the need for all the new me ish. This part of your post made my night here. (What happens in 2018 stays in 2018. Putting yourself first should be a priority and it certainly isn’t selfish. Focus on yourself, your goals, your mental health etc. You’re in control.)… You rock. Nice blog by the wag. First timer here…

12. 12th January 2019 / 12:51 am

Putting yourself first should be a priority and it certainly isn’t selfish to do so. Self care is my number one thing this year.

13. 12th January 2019 / 7:57 am

The new year is a great time to get organized and relax from the busyness of the holidays. We’ve really enjoyed these first few days.

14. Elizabeth O
    12th January 2019 / 8:47 am

First of all, Happy New Year. Thanks for sharing this article. I really enjoyed reading your post.

15. 12th January 2019 / 11:33 am

Happy New Year to you too. I really love the Instagram caption and its all true what you say. I just hope that in 2019 I will stay happy like this year.

16. 13th January 2019 / 7:17 pm

It is definitely hard to keep resolutions if you don’t break them down into smarter, simpler steps. I find that over the years my resolutions list have been getting smaller and smaller so that I can feel a better sense of accomplishment when I do achieve them. I do hope to work on myself and my creative ventures more so this year. Here’s hoping for growth!

17. Lisa Rios
    17th January 2019 / 4:20 am

I try to avoid resolutions – there isn’t anything about me I need to “resolve” – it’s about improving and becoming a better version of the person I already am!

18. 17th January 2019 / 6:32 am

On quite a few occasions I have personally made resolutions and was unable to keep up with them. Then I changed the idea and started making small and achievable goals and I definitely saw the growth and change. Great post and Wish you a happy new year