Camping on the Great Wall of China

Camping on the Great Wall of China Nicol Yuk Lui Wong 黄郁蕾 Huang Yu Lei

This was another trip with CET Trip Beijing, an experience I had never thought of previously doing but hey, I’m always up for trying something new. Camping was definitely new for me and being able to do it on the Great Wall was spectacular.

I can’t remember which section of the Great Wall I had exactly camped on but I can definitely say that it wasn’t on the touristy sections like Badaling, Mutianyu etc. In fact, there were no tourists. It was like a breath of fresh air and could fully enjoy the experience. I need to find the name of the section.

It was a 2 hour bus journey from Beijing and we had stopped at a village where would would start our hike up a mountain, climb up the side of the Great Wall (well a wooden ladder) then hike along the wall to our camping spot. I definitely wasn’t prepared to hike up a mountain whilst carrying camping gear. Think it had taken us over half an hour with many breaks hiking up the mountain. The common say was, are we there yet and Jon, our tour guide, had kept saying we’re nearly there. It was one of those where he had a lot of energy whilst all of us were exhausted and dripping in sweat. I remember him saying it was his 8th time doing this trip, he absolutely loves it and never gets sick of it.

Camping on the Great Wall of China
Camping on the Great Wall of China
Camping on the Great Wall of China

It was absolutely freezing and windy on the Great Wall from the start as we were just over 1000km above sea level, no surprise there. I was absolutely clueless when it had came to putting up my tent but Jon had helped. Sleeping was a bit rough but some how I had managed to sleep alright. Everyone in this tour group had gotten along really well with each other so we were able to have fun in the evening, chatting, playing card games despite all of us freezing our asses off.

I was able to wake up before the sun had started rising, about an hour and a half before. From then, I was watching the mist blowing across the wall. It was one of the unbelievable, spectacular, breathtaking moments. Like ones you’ve never thought of imagining capturing. In then end, I didn’t get to watch the sun rise properly due to the mist but I didn’t mind. I’m just going to let the following photos do the talking.

Camping on the Great Wall of China
Camping on the Great Wall of China
Camping on the Great Wall of China
Camping on the Great Wall of China

1. 11th December 2017 / 2:21 pm

What an amazing experience. Your photos are beautiful but brrrr, I’m not sure I could cope with the cold in a tent….although for the experience I would do it.

2. 11th December 2017 / 3:04 pm

Wow, what an absolutely incredible experience. Your photos are stunning and will serve as an amazing reminder of your trip!

3. Joanna
    11th December 2017 / 3:58 pm

Wow an astonishing experience! Besides the cold, I would love to camp on the Great Wall of China! The views of the sunrise you woke up to are so beautiful!

4. 11th December 2017 / 4:28 pm

wow what a totally unforgettable experience! I am very jealous it sounds fab!

5. 11th December 2017 / 5:21 pm

I had no idea you could camp on the wall. I love the idea of it but I think I’d struggle carrying all of my camping gear x

6. 11th December 2017 / 8:03 pm

What an incredible experience to be able to camp on the Great Wall of China and I love the beautiful photos that you took. It is so lovely to hear that the tour group had gotten along really well with each other so you were able to have fun in the evening, chatting, playing card games even though you were cold! x

7. 11th December 2017 / 9:25 pm

What a fantastic experience. I don’t like camping personally but then if I was there I think I would enjoy it. I mean – who wouldn’t want to camp with all the others on the Great Wall?!?

8. 11th December 2017 / 10:19 pm

Honestly I had no idea you could camp on the Great Wall of China, that is like extreme camping in the most amazing way!

9. 12th December 2017 / 12:19 am

Wow, now this is like bucket list material! No idea you could camp there!

10. 12th December 2017 / 8:00 am

Camping on the great wall of Chinalools insane. I would love to do this such a unique experience x

11. 12th December 2017 / 5:36 pm

OMG that’s amazing I didn’t think they’d do anything like that. I know a few friends who would love to do this.

12. 12th December 2017 / 6:12 pm

What an amazing experience! We’d love to do this – I bet it was super cold up there!

13. 12th December 2017 / 6:21 pm

My goodness it sounds like such a wonderful experience! I would love to do this

14. 12th December 2017 / 11:23 pm

Wow, these photos really capture how incredible this experience must have been, those views are stunning! What a great experience, I would love to try this!

15. Helen
    13th December 2017 / 8:00 am

Wow your photographs are amazing! This must have been an incredible experience. Seeing the Great Wall is something I’ve always wanted to do.

16. Danielle
    13th December 2017 / 10:05 am

Oh wow. What an incredible thing to do. That is a total bucket list thing to do.

17. adriana
    13th December 2017 / 7:48 pm

Talk about an amazing experience! Wow! This is incredible, what an experience!

18. 14th December 2017 / 9:32 am

I didn’t know you could camp on the great wall of China! You learn something new every day. I don’t think I could cope with the cold temperatures to do it myself, though. I like to be warm and snug! LOL

Louise x

19. 15th December 2017 / 3:05 am

Stunning photos!!!

20. 15th December 2017 / 10:53 pm

I’ve climbed the Great Wall of China a few times in my life but I never knew you could camp on it!

21. 18th December 2017 / 8:42 pm

Wow what a view! It sounds like a fantastic (but cold!) experience.