Working Out Whilst Travelling

dorsett hotel mongkok hong kong

Everyone uses the “I’m on holiday” excuse to not workout but how do you break out of it and stay fit whilst you’re travelling? There’s no magic pill to get you going, it’s something you’ve got to do. Here are some tips to keep you fit whilst abroad.

Make Use of the Hotel Gym or Pool
This will only apply if you do have a gym or pool at the place you’re staying at. Since you’re paying for it, why not make the most of what amenities you have. A quick dip in the pool with a few laps is better than zero or 20 minutes in the gym. A morning session is always a great way to start your day and you may be too tired to go in the evening after a long day. It’s best to get it done and over with.

Make Use of Your Surroundings
Your hotel room, the area around the hotel. Look at what’s in your room to help you stay fit like the bed, chairs, walls, unopened water bottles etc. Exploring the area around your hotel to see if there’s a park or a beach nearby or to find a nice running route.

Make use of the Opportunity
Waiting for the bus, train? In the queue waiting for a table? Do some calf raises. Use the stairs instead of the lift. Rent a bike and explore the area. Walk every where. Just adding or making small things will make a difference. Book excursions that requires getting your butt off the seat and gets your legs working. Waiting for your flight? Add a few exercises. On a long haul flight? Maybe get some calf raises in to also help maintain your blood circulation.

Resistance Loop Bands
You can buy a set of loop resistance bands for cheap and some may even come with a carry pouch for travel. They’re not going to weigh you down and can just throw into your carry on. You can use them anywhere and can work any part of the body. In bed? Sure. Whilst brushing you teeth? Sure. Out and about being a tourist? Yeah why not.

Save Workouts
Download them to your phone, take photos, print them off, rip them out of the magazines. If you struggle with coming up with your own workouts, finding them around the internet, magazines, personal trainer, friends, families etc would be your best bet. There are workouts that doesn’t require equipment and can target a specific body part. You can always mix and match the exercises and create your own workout from them.

Change Your Mindset
Everyone uses the “I’m on holiday” excuse and if you’ve got a fitness routine going on, it may be harder to get back on the horse when you’re back off holiday. Just incorporating a quick 20 minute session or being more active in general will prevent you falling off.

Plan and Don’t Beat Yourself Up
Some prefer to plan their workouts around their schedule whilst others just go with the flow. Whatever you’ve planned, in the end, listen to your body. Don’t beat yourself up if you’ve planned on working out 4 times during the holiday and ended up doing 2. I’m sure the majority of people’s holiday schedules aren’t 100% followed through as you see and try new things.

Do you workout whilst on holiday?

1. 5th June 2017 / 4:44 pm

I think making use of your surroundings is probably the most important thing… There’s always going to be something that you can use 🙂

2. 5th June 2017 / 6:03 pm

These sound like some awesome tips on how to work out while you are travelling, I have to admit I’ve never really thought about how you can do it while away – I’m bad enough when at home.

3. 5th June 2017 / 7:03 pm

I never workout when on holiday, but I should really. I always seem to nearly put a stone on every holiday from all the food and drink, so these tips will come in handy.

4. 5th June 2017 / 7:23 pm

These are some great tips. I must admit I use holiday as an excuse to be naughty haha

5. 5th June 2017 / 7:23 pm

Some fab tips here especially making use of your surroundings. It is often something we never think to do

6. Ashleigh Dougherty
    5th June 2017 / 7:28 pm

I am going away in 2 weeks time and freaking out at not being able to work out. However, I think I am going to take my resistance bands for quick and easy workouts!

7. 5th June 2017 / 8:44 pm

Great Tips here. i actually think I do more working out when traveling, tons more walking and also swimming 🙂

8. 5th June 2017 / 10:28 pm

I think a I am better excercising on holiday than at home, especially if there is a pool.

9. 5th June 2017 / 10:49 pm

Great suggestions. I am hoping to go away this year and do plan to make use of their gym and pool. I’m on a mission!!!

10. hannah
    5th June 2017 / 11:05 pm

I’ve always tried going to the gym on holiday but never get round to it. I usually use the pool

11. 5th June 2017 / 11:28 pm

I haven’t before but probably would when I go on holiday again! I think il use the hotel gym or just go swimming

12. 6th June 2017 / 12:23 am

I like the idea of making use of your surroundings. I use resistance loop bands as part of my physio to strengthen my back and it does help x

13. Joanna
    6th June 2017 / 1:24 pm

These are some great tips! I usually walk a lot when on holiday, over 10 miles each day and that’s how I workout. I always prefer active holidays rather than just sit on the beach ones.

14. Lynne harper
    6th June 2017 / 1:59 pm

I have worked out on holiday many times, I missed the gym so made use of things around me, chairs for bicep dips, went for a run, press ups on the deck. It’s so doable and I really enjoyed it x

15. 6th June 2017 / 4:57 pm

I think adapting to where you are is the best idea – always make use of facilities too!

16. 6th June 2017 / 9:37 pm

If I go abroad I always make use of the swimming pool. But when I’m at home a rarely exercise I really should though!

17. 7th June 2017 / 12:49 pm

Such great tips! I must admit that I am pretty lazy on holiday usually unless it’s a city break when I walk up to 20K steps a day looking at the sights. x

18. 7th June 2017 / 4:57 pm

I can’t say I’ve ever tried keeping up with my fitness whilst on holiday, but that’ mainly because I want to make the most of my time there. I’ve been thinking of spending some time travelling with my fella though and I’ve both said that it would be nice to have an on site gym.

19. francesca
    8th June 2017 / 9:45 am

I actually need to put into practise working out when I’m not on holiday!! I do neither! And I know its terrible, however I’ve signed up to the gym so I really should follow through with that!

20. 8th June 2017 / 1:40 pm

Holiday is probably the only time I work out. I love using the pool and don’t have time at home

21. 10th June 2017 / 12:08 am

These are all great tips for working out whilst travelling. I’m terrible at working out at all if I’m honest {‘;’}

Louise x

22. 12th June 2017 / 9:36 am

Great ideas – I don’t work out too much but I try to keep active and hit the floor every now and again for some yoga so I do tend to keep it up whilst away x

23. 14th June 2017 / 3:06 pm

The only workout I get whilst travelling is walking, so this was really insightful!