Trends I Did Before They Bloomed

TRENDSETTER?

This had randomly popped into my mind. I was looking at the past and current trends as well as looking back at old photos. When the two came together, I had realised I wore certain trends way before they became big in the world. They weren’t trends back in the days. Oh yes I’m a trendsetter. Jokes!

High waisted skirts – During secondary school, I had worn skirts that were too long for me therefore having to roll the up and they ended up resting on my waist. Especially those P.E. skirts. I did get bullied for wearing high waisted skirts. I remember to this very day, I came out of the sports hall and as I was heading to the changing rooms, I could hear one guy saying he could see that I had worn my P.E. skirt around my waist to the people he was with and laughed. It didn’t phase me one bit. I didn’t want to wear a long skirt whilst I’m running around. Also, I didn’t want to waste my breath. Now I’m seeing high waisted skirts everywhere.

Over the knee/knee high socks – This was also in secondary school and did get bullied for it. I had worn white over the knee/knee high socks during the first two years but then transitioned into wearing black ones in year 9. Then I started seeing more girls wear them. Didn’t get bullied after everyone else was wearing it. Score! I had worn them outside of school too with shorts, skirts, dresses, basically everything.

Ear jackets – I had worn these during my university days. I had a pair I had purchased from yesasia which was in the style of Boa, a Korean celebrity. It was the only pair of earrings I would ever wear but then lost them during my second year. Sad days indeed! I couldn’t purchase a replacement as it wasn’t being sold anymore and no where had sold earrings this style until last year. I had completely forgotten about it until it was sold everywhere. Nothing can ever replace my beloved old pair though.

Contouring – Before Kim K made contouring cool, I had always contoured since second year of college. But my contouring was bad and not the correct colour. I did “rock” the terracotta shade for who knows how many years then finally came to my senses after graduation.

I did think about posting photos of me with these trends however I don’t want these to surface around the internet especially my secondary school photos. Last time I had posted an old photo, there was a lot of things said and a lot of controversy so I am not risking this again as it did affect me a lot.

Did you wear, purchase or do something before it blossomed into a big trend?

1. 8th August 2015 / 9:29 pm

I can't think of any current trends I rocked back in the day but am sure there are loads. Great post.

2. Louise Smith
    8th August 2015 / 10:27 pm

I was using crackle nail polish a good year before anyone I knew. By the time it was 'in' I was getting fed up of it! LOL

Louise x

With love from Lou

3. Lorenzo Caballes Jr
    9th August 2015 / 12:31 am

Cool! It seems to me you have the 'it' in fashion. That makes you a rightful owner of this blog!

4. Esme Sy
    9th August 2015 / 12:32 am

I remember doing different colors on each of my nails and my classmates would make fun of me. Eventually the trend started and by the time I got sick of it, every girl in my class had different nail colors on their nails. Oh well.

5. Michelle / Daisybutter
    9th August 2015 / 1:50 am

I'm still certain I started the rose gold trend when I got my white and rose gold Mulberry Alexa in 2011. People even left me anonymous comments saying I should've got the tan with gold hardware because the rose gold 'would never take off' hahaha xx

6. Color U Bold
    9th August 2015 / 3:22 am

I love this post! Its amazing how when we style something thats "different" from the normal style people make fun of it but when It becomes "on trend" its like its just an amazing idea…"like why didnt we think of this before" haha! I used to paint my nails all the same color except for one finger before I knew anyone else would do it around me. I live in a pretty small town and I always pushed fashion boundaries I loved high waisted jeans and skirts in school! And used to rock long jeans skirts to the floor and now it seems like it's coming back!

Jasmine 🙂
    colorubold.com

7. John Benliro
    9th August 2015 / 3:47 am

It's interesting to note that you're wearing stuff way before they became trend. You are a trendsetter indeed!

8. Von Salvado
    9th August 2015 / 6:18 am

This help me a lot! Thank you! You've earned a new subscriber 🙂

9. yvonnembertoldo
    9th August 2015 / 8:49 am

You should've post your old photos so that I could appreciate what you were talking about. I'm not really good in fashion terms. lol I had to google what ear jackets were. :))

10. papaleng
    9th August 2015 / 3:29 pm

I guess you really are a trendsetters. Me, I'm just a young lad then who loves wearing faded maong jeans.

11. Ling Tan
    9th August 2015 / 4:11 pm

Does wearing black count? Haha! I have to admit, I am not great at trend spotting – probably will consider my style "classic", than ever "trendy"! 🙂

12. Tiffany Yong W.T.
    9th August 2015 / 5:52 pm

Hey, no evidence! You should flaunt some of the photos of you in those trends back then! Then I will believe! hahahaa

• nicolyl
      9th August 2015 / 6:02 pm

i did think about this but they are too embarrassing!

13. Anne V
    9th August 2015 / 6:50 pm

I always go against the trend. I only remember being a boots girl living in a tropical country. People thought I was bonkers for wearing boots all the time, but now it's not as rare anymore, I see a lot of people doing the same when the celebrities they like started doing it.

14. hurny2009
    9th August 2015 / 8:03 pm

I've never been a trendsetter and never followed any trends really. I'm just me x

15. Danielle LeShea
    10th August 2015 / 2:58 am

One I can currently think of is what is now called strobbing, which is essentially highlighting. My junior year in college no one really spoke about highlighting/strobbing and now it's all over the place.

16. lee rosales
    10th August 2015 / 3:57 am

Lol on Kim K on contouring.. Never tried to follow any trend. Im all good with skirts and shorts. Snix and lowcut boots and wedge

17. lee rosales
    10th August 2015 / 3:57 am

18. veena hussain
    10th August 2015 / 4:12 am

Great read! You are such a trendy girl

19. Fatemah Sajwani
    10th August 2015 / 6:25 am

You are a total fashionista babe. I love your sense of fashion and style.

20. Laura - Alagoz
    10th August 2015 / 9:15 am

Great read, hun 🙂 I have never myself been one to follow trends just because everyone else is doing it. I do have picked up the contouring though 🙂

Laura
    Pink Frenzy

21. Hannah Green
    10th August 2015 / 11:06 am

I love this post, you were definitely on the money with some of these trends before they went big. I always have a big smile when that happens 🙂

22. Raymond Vasquez
    10th August 2015 / 11:52 am

Fashion is such a big industry. And it could work to your advantage if you're creative enough to be a trendsetter! 😀

23. Franc
    10th August 2015 / 1:12 pm

Having seen your post for several months, I can definitely agree that you are a trendsetter.

24. Esha
    10th August 2015 / 1:36 pm

You are some trend-setter! 🙂

25. Fred Hawson
    10th August 2015 / 10:50 pm

This is of course evidence of a fashion plate and trend-setter. It is always good to see the good things about a certain item BEFORE the whole world goes gaga over them. I liked songs like "More Than Words" (by Extreme) and "Stars" (by Simply Red) way way before people overplayed them on the radio.

26. Louise Banta
    11th August 2015 / 4:01 am

This is a nice post to reflect on. I know I have worn some trendy clothes now back in high school or college but I can only name one right now: the high socks too. Hehe.

27. 11th August 2015 / 6:31 am

I remember myself wearing knee high socks but I did not get bullied by my classmates.

28. Manu Kalia
    11th August 2015 / 5:59 pm

Every women who loves fashion and trendy would love you.

29. Sin Yee
    12th August 2015 / 2:12 am

Wow! You know what is the upcoming fashion trend, don't you? So, what is the next trend my dear?

30. Danessa Foo
    12th August 2015 / 2:29 am

I hear ya! Some things are better left in memories than to be "published" in pictures, haha… I was into Japanese music before JPop became a trend in the 2000s.

31. Jess | Just Jesss
    12th August 2015 / 9:19 am

It's so interesting looking back at how trends have changed, and the way things that used to be 'uncool' come into fashion 🙂

Jess xo

32. 14th August 2015 / 12:15 pm

your fashion instinct must be ahead of our time … you had that vision of what could be not be hipped today but a hit in the future…