My Fashion Mistakes

I WORE WHAT?

I did a “My Beauty Mistakes” post months ago and thought I’ll do a fashion one. I thought long and hard into my past and trying to dig out any old photos on my macbook (not showing them) displaying any horror stories in my dress sense. I never really cared about how I had dressed until I was around 16 when I was starting college. And now, I still wouldn’t call myself stylish or fashionable. Just a highly improved version of myself with a shopping addiction.

Tracksuits & Sports Clothes
From the age of 11 till around 15, I had only wore tracksuit bottoms and other sports clothes. Hey, they were comfortable and that’s all that mattered right? I loved to shop at Sports Direct for those Lonsdale and Reebok bargains and didn’t care as to what I had looked like. I did shop at Tammy in BHS for a few nice clothes for special occasions. Tracksuits were a big trend back then however I, thankfully, didn’t look like a chav.

I still have them now and only wear them around the house if I was visiting home and staying in. I wouldn’t wear them out in public ever again. I had also practically lived in my England football shirts. Had both the home and away shirts. You could say that I was a tomboy then. You will see me wear sweatpants to and from work every now and again these days.

A Tad Too Small
I think we’ve all been through this. I had always bought clothes in my usual size in every store but of course each store measures differently. I had these skinny jeans that just fitted but were definitely a tad small on me but I was in denial throughout the two years wearing them at college. I was able to zip and button up with force, then there was the muffin top issue. However, I did cleverly wear loose tops and jackets to hide this. Thinking about it now, they did restrict my movement slightly.

Or a Tad Too Big
I had purchased these gorgeous, gold, glitter, strappy heels online from New Look at the last minute for a Christmas ball at university years back (wow I feel old saying that). I didn’t like any other shoes when I went shopping. These had fit my feet perfectly but they were loose at the same time because I have skinny ankles meaning they would fall off easily. I could definitely feel my feet and heels majorly separating whilst I was walking. Surprisingly I didn’t fall over. I should have purchased heels in store and return these instead but I was delusional and a big fuss pot!

Hair Clips in Fringe (Bangs)
I saw my cousin having these cute strawberry hair clips on her fringe at my uncles wedding when I was around 16 and I must admit, they did look cute on her even if she is 5 years older than me. I was going through the wanting to look cute, “ullzzang” phase and basically copied her. It was hard for me to find any cute hair clips around where I live and wasn’t allowed to order online. I ended up buying clips with cheap rhinestones glued on. Since I have thin and fine hair, I had gaps in my fringe with the clips in meaning I looked like a sweaty mess. I didn’t look cute whatsoever, I looked ridiculous. This lasted about a year. I’ll just leave it to the young children.

That’s all I could think of. But who knows, I could be making plenty more at this very present day without realising.

What were your fashion mistakes?

1. 17th September 2014 / 11:26 pm

Haha! Looking back on my childhood and teen pics is not exactly a favorite activity for me because of my horrible fashion sense back then. My kids laugh at their old man's awkward clothes as I cringe. 🙂

2. 17th September 2014 / 11:57 pm

a tad too small… we've all been there :p

• 18th September 2014 / 1:05 am

same here! Guilt as charged 🙁 I thought I can always be size 2 but some american sizes are just too big for me.. -kaycee

3. 18th September 2014 / 3:06 am

I guess everyone will have fashion mistake before. Trial and error? XD

4. 18th September 2014 / 3:10 am

I'm thankful the hair clip in fringe trend is over. At that point of time when it's trending, it looks cute. Looking back, it looks pretty ugh…

5. 18th September 2014 / 4:36 am

everyone do fashion mistake..even I made such mistakes several time.

6. 18th September 2014 / 8:04 am

A tad too big! During my schooling years, the trend was to wear extra big t-shirts with tights! AWFUL!

7. 18th September 2014 / 8:48 am

A mistake I often commit is the tendency to wear too many matchy colours! Like pink shirt with pink bag and pink makeup etc… Fashion disaster!

8. 18th September 2014 / 10:30 am

I can't tell you how much I can relate to everything except for the hair thing because I'm a guy. Haha! Anyways, it's such a funny experience when I look back on my fashion fails and cringe! 😀

9. 18th September 2014 / 12:28 pm

I love this post! I made too many fashion mistakes when I was younger! x

10. 18th September 2014 / 12:34 pm

Hair clip makes your hair looks so cute~ cute means so childish and adorable. Some of us are look good with hair clips, while some others don't. I like wearing hair clips, I don't care what it looks 😛

11. 18th September 2014 / 1:04 pm

Everybody has been there at that age…awkward age, and I think, you have to thank the Lord that you have those pictures.

12. 19th September 2014 / 4:54 am

Everyone goes through this Nicole! And I will continually make them in the future as I try to be more creative or experiment with styles.

One of my fashion mistakes was when I was still working, there were stuff that I would buy not caring about the price. Nowadays I will rarely buy clothes in full retail price unless they're intimates, etc.

13. 19th September 2014 / 12:21 pm

I can relate! Especially, wearing smaller clothes than my size. I guess I was too early for the crop top mania lol

14. 20th September 2014 / 12:22 pm

I like all the reasons you gave to persuade us that we should avoid these fashion mistakes, especially the bangs, I also left them to small kids a long time ago. Great post!

15. 21st September 2014 / 3:34 am

Awesome! This is a great help. Now I know why sometimes there's a negative thought that comes in my mind when using fashion clothes

16. 21st September 2014 / 5:29 am

Well, we all make mistakes obvious or not. I'm guilty with the skinny jeans too hehehe.

17. 22nd September 2014 / 9:21 am

I did that hair clips on bangs thing too, and the tad too big one. Oh gosh, I wouldn't want to photos of that. At least you admitted to these fashion mistakes. 🙂

18. 30th September 2014 / 5:20 am

Haha! It's really great to review our fashion mistake time-by-time!~