Are Makeup Wipes Bad For Your Skin?

fd58

BAD REACTION

Makeup wipes is like a god send, quick and easy to use and great for travelling. The lazy people’s way after a tiring, long day. I only use makeup wipes when I’m not home, travelling somewhere as I don’t fancy carrying my bottle of Bioderma around and don’t have a travel bottle. On my recent travel, Wednesday to be exact, after wiping my makeup off with wipes, my skin had felt tight which was strange. I didn’t think much of it. Must admit that I didn’t cleanse properly as I was really ill too and just wanted to sleep. Even after moisturising, it still did feel a bit tight afterwards. I have done this plenty of times previously especially after nights out and this was a first. Went home Thursday night, skin still felt tight after removing makeup. Wake up next morning, skin is so dry and tight, with these white dots on my chin and upper lip which looks like whiteheads but aren’t.

My skin is naturally oily and no oils appeared. Felt as dry as the Sahara Desert. Any facial expressions I made, it felt uncomfortable. Now I’ve developed these lumps on my cheeks which seem to be irritation lumps as well as breaking out a little bit and flaking. Disgusting. It’s a first that my skin has reacted to this after using makeup wipes. Think I won’t be using them in the future and just carry Bioderma with me everywhere. In my opinion, I think its the friction and abrasion that irritated it. They aren’t as great as you think since they only remove the makeup that’s on your skin, not within. By that, I mean your pores, they still have makeup, oils and dirt in them. Whether you are prone to breaking out or not, use a liquid makeup remover instead, oil or none oil based, then cleanse afterwards. Your pores will be happier. If your makeup wipes claim to work deep into your pores, it’s a lie. I also believe that wiping your face with these will also spread the dirt around too, whether it’s actually true or not. If you don’t want dry, tight, irritated, red, flakey skin, save these wipes for the emergency days.

My skin is still horrendous at the moment so my face shall be hibernating from the blog until it’s bearable to the eye. Face feels like it’s ageing and wrinkling from all the tightness.

Has this happened to you? Do you use makeup wipes?

1. 16th June 2013 / 4:08 pm

after using the wipes did u use facial foam to cleanse?

• 16th June 2013 / 4:15 pm

yes i do. i do my usual night skin care routine. this is the first time it has happened to me. never happened before

2. 16th June 2013 / 5:15 pm

I use makeup wipes to remove most of the tinted moisturizer and concealer on my face and then I will cleanse my face with facial cleanser. I don't use wipes alone unless I don't really have plans to go anywhere the next day, then I'll just be using face masks to prep my skin because of what I didn't do the previous ngiht.

3. 16th June 2013 / 6:57 pm

I use makeup wipes every time I remove my makeup…is that bad? I'm thinking of other ways I can remove it instead of using wipes :/

• 16th June 2013 / 7:24 pm

It's not bad as long as you find a brand of wipes that work well for you.

4. 16th June 2013 / 7:26 pm

Maybe it's just that particular brand of wipes you've been using that caused the problem? I suggest chucking it out and finding a better one.

I have acne-prone, combination skin and I've never suffered a bad reaction yet from makeup wipes. I don't use them alone though for removing my makeup, it's just the first step, which I follow with a cleansing milk or oil, then my face wash.

5. 16th June 2013 / 8:37 pm

I use make up wipes to remove my face make up but then always follow up with an oil cleanser to cleanse my skin properly. I agree, make up wipes can be very drying and tough on the skin, especially the ones which have a rough texture and claim to be exfoliating! I usually stick to make up wipes for sensitive/dry skin to make sure they aren't overdrying x

izzisaur.blogspot.co.uk

6. 16th June 2013 / 8:40 pm

Well sweetie I used wiped but just for remove the excess of makeup. Because after I use a cleanser foam for remove completely makeup of my face. But are nice for remove the excess of makeup in my opinion!

7. 16th June 2013 / 8:50 pm

i love the boots cleansing wipes, they are very good and hydrating! yeah maybe its just that that brand doesn't sit well with your skin!

please check out my blog if you have the time x

8. 19th June 2013 / 2:57 pm

If i have layers and layers of make up on, i will use wipes to take most of it off before cleansing because i can't stand my towel getting dirty but i will avoid wipes if possible. I used the boots one as hand wipes at work once and they really dried out my skin so bad. I checked the ingredients and it was full of parabens. 🙁

9. 23rd September 2013 / 5:30 pm

I've stopped using them after I realized they were doing no good to my skin and didn't really remove my makeup completely. Instead, I've been using a Bioderma dupe, the L'oreal Micellar Solution alone or before using my cleaner. It's MUCH better at removing my makeup, doesn't leave a residue and it's just as convenient as a makeup wipe.

Gabriela xx